School of Art Requirements:
To change major to Art or Art History or add the Art or Art History minor:
1. Attend a mandatory degree information session to learn more about the majors/minors. See below for Information Session dates and times for current semester.
2. Complete an online Request for Change Major/Add Minor via SF State Gateway/MySFSU. (Go to the online Student Center. Under the Academics section, select Change Major from the drop-down menu and follow the instructions.)
- PLEASE NOTE: Students who have earned more than 96 units cannot use the online system to change their major to Art. They must instead submit the Change/Declaration of Undergraduate Primary Major Form (available on the Registrar’s website). They must meet with the Director of the School of Art for approval and signature of this form.
3. Additionally, students wishing to change their major to Art (Studio Art or Dual Concentration) must complete the lower division course requirements listed below at SFSU or the equivalent at another institution with a grade of C or better. (Please note: These pre-requisites do not apply to the Art History Major, which does not require any specific coursework to declare the major.
- 6 units Studio Art (ART 210, 222, 231, 232, 236, 240, 245 or 260
- 6 units Art History (ARTH T 201, 202, or 205)
To change Concentration within the Art Major:
1. Meet with a School of Art faculty advisor to discuss change of concentration.
2. Go to the online Student Center. Under the Academics section, select Change Major from the drop-down menu and follow the instructions to select the new concentration.
Adding a Second Major
A student can only add a second major if they can demonstrate that they complete both majors within the minimum units required to graduate (120-132 units, depending on the majors). They must complete a Petition to Add a Second Major form available on the Registrar's website and submit to the Registrar’s Office for review. Note: Please allow 4 to 6 weeks processing time
Spring 2019 Degree Information Sessions
Friday February 1, 3:30-4:30, FA 196
Friday March 1, 3:30-4:30, FA 196
Friday April 5, 3:30-4:30, FA 196
Friday May 3, 3:30-4:30, FA 196
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot for an info session.
Students should check the University requirements about changing majors before attending an information session. University requirments can be found on the registrars website.