Frequently Asked Questions for Undergraduate Programs

Common questions and answers about the Bachelor of Arts and Minor of Art.

How do I make an appointment with a faculty adviser?

Visit our academic advising page for details.

How to I change my major to art or add the art minor?

School of Art Requirements:

Any student interested in changing their major to art or adding the art minor must:

  1. Attend a degree information session to learn more about the major/minor.
  2. Attend a change of major/add minor session.
  3. Juniors and Seniors must complete course requirements outlined below.
Fall 2017 Degree Information Sessions

Thursday, September 7, 12:30 – 1:30, FA 296
Thursday, November 30, 12:30 – 1:30, FA 296

Fall 2017 Change of Major/Add Minor Paperwork Sessions (only students who have attended an information session can complete paperwork at the following meetings)

Thursday, September 21, 12:30 – 1:00, FA 296
Thursday, December 14, 12:30 – 1:00, FA 296

You must RSVP to attend sessions. Please email your name, rank (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) and whether you are interested in the major or minor. Students must attend an information session before they can RSVP and attend the paperwork session.

Juniors and Seniors (Change of Major)

In addition to attending the information session AND change of major paperwork session, Juniors and Seniors must complete 12 units of 200 level prerequisite core courses at SFSU or the equivalent at another institution with a grade of C or better in order to change their major to art:
6 units Visual Art Practice

  • ART 210, 222, 231, 232, 236, 240, 245 or 260

6 units Art History

  • ART 201, 202, or 205

If you have already earned 96 units and have not taken the 12 units required to take the major, you will not be able to change your major to art.

University Requirements:

Found on the registrars website.

Does SFSU’s Art Department offer a Bachelor of Arts in Art or a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art? What is the difference between these two degrees?

In the School of Art we offer a Bachelor of Arts in Art degree for undergraduates. The difference between a Bachelor of Arts in Art and a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art is based on the ratio of art courses to general studies courses. In a Bachelor of Arts in Fine Art program, approximately two thirds of the course work needed for the completion of the degree are within visual arts based courses. While in a BA program (which we offer), approximately two thirds of the course work necessary for completion of the degree is in general studies and the remainder of the courses are in the visual arts.

How do I know if a class I took at another college transfers to the art program at SF State?

Visit the assist website to see what classes transfer and are the equivalent to courses offered at SF State in the art department from some universities. Some courses and schools may not be listed on in which case the student should speak with a faculty advisor in the area of emphasis they are interested in pursuing.

I have AP credits from high school, where do I find out how many credits I receive at SFSU?

To find out how many credits you receive at SFSU for your high school AP courses please follow this link:

How do I check out a locker?

Any lockers that are not in a studio space can be checked out at the beginning of the semester. Please contact the School of Art for details.

How do I withdraw from a course?

Students should speak with the course instructor about withdrawing from the course for serious and compelling reasons only, providing sufficient documentation that supports their reason for withdrawal. All withdrawal requests are handled electronically and go through a multiple approval process beginning with the course instructor, moving to the department chair and then a final approval with the associate dean of the college. The art office does not accept paper withdrawal requests. Acceptable reasons for withdrawal include:

  • Serious and extended personal or family illness
  • Personal or family crisis
  • Death of a loved one
  • Significant financial problem making it impossible to come to class
  • Change in work schedule making it impossible to come to class
  • Change in child or other dependent care making it impossible to come to class
  • Unanticipated and valuable educational or employment opportunity at the same time as
  • Military or extended jury service making it impossible to come to class

What do I do If I am on academic probation?

Students that are on academic probation, have a GPA below 2.0, will receive a notice by email from the university about the deadline to submit their probation petition. Follow these steps, in order, to clear an academic standing probation hold:

  1. Make an appointment and meet with an adviser in the College of Liberal and Creative Arts Advising Resource Center, the ARC,
  2. Make an appointment to meet with Director of the School of Art, Gail Dawson, Please bring the academic standing petition form, a copy of unofficial transcripts and a copy of Degree Progress Report to appointment.
  3. After the Director has signed the probation form it will forwarded to the College office for the Dean's approval. The dean's office may contact you to set up an appointment if the dean feels it is necessary.
  4. Students should review the registrars website regarding academic probation,

I am trying to get certified for a single subject credential in art, who do I contact?

During the fall semester please contact Professor Julia Marshall via email, Professor Marshall is the only person in the art department that is able to speak to people regarding single subject credentials in art. During the Spring semester please contact the department chair, Gail Dawson,

How do I apply for graduation in the art department?

Check with the School of Art office at the beginning of the semester you wish to graduate for the department deadline.

Please see one of the following faculty members to complete your graduation application. Students should use the Graduation Application Guide to begin filling out their application before meeting with one of the faculty members below.