How do I make an appointment with a faculty adviser?

Visit our advising page for details.

How do I change my major to art or add the art minor?

See Change of Major/Adding Minor in Art page for more information.

Does SF State's Art Department offer a Bachelor of Arts in Art or a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art? What is the difference between these two degrees?

In the School of Art we offer a bachelor of arts in art degree for undergraduates. The difference between a bachelor of arts in art and a bachelor of fine arts in art is based on the ratio of art courses to general studies courses. In a bachelor of arts in fine art program, approximately two thirds of the course work needed for the completion of the degree are within visual arts based courses. While in a bachelor of arts in art (which we offer), approximately two thirds of the course work necessary for completion of the degree is in general studies and the remainder of the courses are in the visual arts.

How do I know if a class I took at another college transfers to the art program at SF State?

Visit the assist website to see what classes transfer and are the equivalent to courses offered at SF State in the art department from some universities. Some courses and schools may not be listed on assist.org in which case the student should speak with a faculty adviser in the area of emphasis they are interested in pursuing.

I have AP credits from high school, where do I find out how many credits I receive at SF State?

To find out how many credits you receive at SF State for your high school AP courses please check the University Bulletin.

How do I check out a locker?

Lockers located in FA 281 and FA 291 can be checked out at the beginning of the semester. Please contact the School of Art for details.  

How do I withdraw from a course?

Students should speak with the course instructor about withdrawing from the course for serious and compelling reasons only, providing sufficient documentation that supports their reason for withdrawal. All withdrawal requests are handled electronically and go through a multiple approval process beginning with the course instructor, moving to the department chair and then a final approval with the associate dean of the college. The art office does not accept paper withdrawal requests.  Acceptable reasons for withdrawal include:

  • Serious and extended personal or family illness.
  • Personal or family crisis.
  • Death of a loved one.
  • Significant financial problem making it impossible to come to class.
  • Change in work schedule making it impossible to come to class.
  • Change in child or other dependent care making it impossible to come to class.
  • Unanticipated and valuable educational or employment opportunity at the same time as class.
  • Military or extended jury service making it impossible to come to class.

What do I do If I am on academic probation?

Students that are on academic probation, have a GPA below 2.0, will receive a notice by email from the University about the deadline to submit their probation petition. Follow these steps, in order, to clear an academic standing probation hold:

  • Go to the Advising Resource Center (ARC) in the Humanities building, room 112, and meet with adviser, completing the general education sections of the probation paperwork.
  • Make an appointment to meet with the Director of the School of Art. Take the academic standing petition form, a copy of unofficial transcripts and a copy of Degree Progress Report to appointment.
  • After the director has signed the probation form it will be forwarded to the College office for the dean's approval. The dean's office may contact you to set up an appointment if the dean feels it is necessary.

Students should review the registrars website regarding academic probation.

I am trying to get certified for a single subject credential in art, who do I contact?

Please contact Susan Belau, who is a subject matter advisor in Art. 

How do I apply for graduation for the B.A. or Minor in Art or Art History?

See the Graduation section of our website under Advising here.