Do you offer tours of the department?

We offer tours based upon staff avilability. Please contact the assistant office manager, Lori Schafer, to schedule a tour of facilities.

Can I meet with someone to discuss admission to the program?

We recommend contacting the graduate coordinator or a faculty member to make an appointment to meet. Faculty are available during the fall and spring semesters only. The director of the School of Art is available during the winter and summer to meet with potential graduate students.

Do you offer non-resident tuition waivers?

Please view for more information about other forms of non-resident tuition waivers.

If I applied during a previous application cycle, do I need to reapply?

Yes, you should take this opportunity to review, revise and re-submit all required documents. We will not pull old copies for the current cycle.

Do you have a specific format for letters of recommendation?

You should have your recommender write the letter on her/his letterhead (if available). There's no specific format for the content of the letter but your recommender should give specific examples of your strengths and why you would be an appropriate candidate for admission to SF State.

Can you reside as a part-time student in the Master of Fine Arts in Art program?

We do not allow students to enter the program on a part time basis. The first semester in the Master of Fine Arts in Art program you take 12 units; the remaining five semesters, a full-time graduate student load is nine units. Most of our graduate courses begin in the late afternoon or early evening, but the upper division studio and academic electives are held from 9am till 9pm, and vary by semester and course. One of the most important aspects of graduate school is the sense of community with other graduate students in your program. A part time student does not have a consistent peer group and a full time job would be a serious impediment to getting everything you can out of the program. 

Can I transfer units into the M.F.A. program?

  • All transfer of credit must be approved on a course-by-course basis by a graduate advisor, the graduate coordinator, and the office of graduate studies. This transfer should be arranged before the first semester of graduate studies begins.
  • A maximum of 12 units total may be transferred towards credit for the Master of Fine Arts in Art degree.
  • A student previously enrolled in any accredited M.F.A. program may transfer up to 12 units from that program.
  • A student who has taken graduate courses in an unclassified post-baccalaureate status may transfer no more than six units in studio, and six units of other, creditable, coursework, for a total of 12 units.
  • A student who has accrued credits both as an enrolled candidate in an accredited M.F.A. program and taken courses in an unclassified post-baccalaureate status may transfer no more than 12 units total.

Are any graduate assistantships or teaching assistantships available for registered graduate students?

G.A. and/or G.T.A. positions are dependent upon funding. We cannot guarantee G.A. or G.T.A. positions to students. Students wishing to be a G.T.A. must complete ART 750 and ART 850.

What sort of studio space do you offer graduate students?

All Master of Fine Arts students have access to graduate studio space on the main SF State campus. A communal graduate space located on the second floor of the fine arts building provides studios for up to 8 graduate students. Other medium-specific studio spaces located throughout the building are available to graduate students based upon need. Critique/project space is available to all M.F.A. students year-round. 

Where can I find information about the TOEFL?

Additional information can be found at the graduate studies website.