Undergraduate FAQs

Visit our advising page for details.

See Change/Add Minor or Major on our Advising page for more information.

In the School of Art we offer a bachelor of arts in art degree for undergraduates. The difference between a bachelor of arts in art and a bachelor of fine arts in art is based on the ratio of art courses to general studies courses. In a bachelor of arts in fine art program, approximately two thirds of the course work needed for the completion of the degree are within visual arts based courses. While in a bachelor of arts in art (which we offer), approximately two thirds of the course work necessary for completion of the degree is in general studies and the remainder of the courses are in the visual arts.

Visit the assist website to see what classes transfer and are the equivalent to courses offered at SF State in the art department from some universities. Some courses and schools may not be listed on assist.org in which case the student should speak with a faculty adviser in the area of emphasis they are interested in pursuing.

To find out how many credits you receive at SF State for your high school AP courses please check the University Bulletin.

Lockers located in FA 281 and FA 291 can be checked out at the beginning of the semester. Please contact the School of Art by email at sch_art@sfsu.edu for details.  

Students should speak with the course instructor about withdrawing from the course for serious and compelling reasons only, providing sufficient documentation that supports their reason for withdrawal. All withdrawal requests are handled electronically and go through a multiple approval process beginning with the course instructor, moving to the department chair and then a final approval with the associate dean of the college. The art office does not accept paper withdrawal requests.  Acceptable reasons for withdrawal include:

  • Serious and extended personal or family illness.
  • Personal or family crisis.
  • Death of a loved one.
  • Significant financial problem making it impossible to come to class.
  • Change in work schedule making it impossible to come to class.
  • Change in child or other dependent care making it impossible to come to class.
  • Unanticipated and valuable educational or employment opportunity at the same time as class.
  • Military or extended jury service making it impossible to come to class.

Students that are on academic probation, have a GPA below 2.0, will receive a notice by email from the University about the deadline to submit their probation petition. Follow these steps, in order, to clear an academic standing probation hold:

  • Go to the Advising Resource Center (ARC) in the Humanities building, room 112, and meet with adviser, completing the general education sections of the probation paperwork.
  • Make an appointment to meet with the Director of the School of Art. Take the academic standing petition form, a copy of unofficial transcripts and a copy of Degree Progress Report to appointment.
  • After the director has signed the probation form it will be forwarded to the College office for the dean's approval. The dean's office may contact you to set up an appointment if the dean feels it is necessary.

Students should review the registrar's website regarding academic probation.

Please contact Susan Belau, who is a subject matter advisor in Art. 

See the Graduation section of our website under Advising.

Graduate FAQs

We offer tours based upon staff availability. Please contact the assistant office manager, Lori Schafer, to schedule a tour of facilities.

We recommend contacting the graduate coordinator or a faculty member to make an appointment to meet. Faculty are available during the fall and spring semesters only. The director of the School of Art is available during the winter and summer to meet with potential graduate students.

Please view for more information about other forms of non-resident tuition waivers.

Yes, you should take this opportunity to review, revise and re-submit all required documents. We will not pull old copies for the current cycle.

You should have your recommender write the letter on her/his letterhead (if available). There's no specific format for the content of the letter but your recommender should give specific examples of your strengths and why you would be an appropriate candidate for admission to SF State.

We do not allow students to enter the program on a part time basis. The first semester in the Master of Fine Arts in Art program you take 12 units; the remaining five semesters, a full-time graduate student load is nine units. Most of our graduate courses begin in the late afternoon or early evening, but the upper division studio and academic electives are held from 9am till 9pm, and vary by semester and course. One of the most important aspects of graduate school is the sense of community with other graduate students in your program. A part time student does not have a consistent peer group and a full time job would be a serious impediment to getting everything you can out of the program. 

  • All transfer of credit must be approved on a course-by-course basis by a graduate advisor, the graduate coordinator, and the office of graduate studies. This transfer should be arranged before the first semester of graduate studies begins.
  • A maximum of 12 units total may be transferred towards credit for the Master of Fine Arts in Art degree.
  • A student previously enrolled in any accredited M.F.A. program may transfer up to 12 units from that program.
  • A student who has taken graduate courses in an unclassified post-baccalaureate status may transfer no more than six units in studio, and six units of other, creditable, coursework, for a total of 12 units.
  • A student who has accrued credits both as an enrolled candidate in an accredited M.F.A. program and taken courses in an unclassified post-baccalaureate status may transfer no more than 12 units total.

G.A. and/or G.T.A. positions are dependent upon funding. We cannot guarantee G.A. or G.T.A. positions to students. Students wishing to be a G.T.A. must complete ART 750 and ART 850.

All Master of Fine Arts students have access to graduate studio space on the main SF State campus. A communal graduate space located on the second floor of the fine arts building provides studios for up to 8 graduate students. Other medium-specific studio spaces located throughout the building are available to graduate students based upon need. Critique/project space is available to all M.F.A. students year-round. 

Additional information can be found at the graduate studies website.