Please Note: 

During this period of remote instruction in response to COVID-19, advising will continue to take place remotely via email, phone, and Zoom. Please see below and email your advisor for an appointment.  For advising questions during the Summer that cannot wait until the semester begins, please email to make an appointment with the Director of the School of Art. 

Advising in the Major/Minor

Students should meet with a faculty adviser at least once a semester to remain on track for a timely graduation. Faculty advising is available during fall and spring semesters with limited advising during the summer and winter. Students can meet with an adviser prior to entering the University. 

Advising Assignments

Students choose one of the following faculty listed under the first letter of student's last name, according to Major/Concentration. Make an appointment with your advisor during their office hours.

ART HISTORY FACULTY ADVISORS  (B.A. in Art History /Concentration in Art History / Dual Concentration / Art History Minor)

STUDIO ART FACULTY ADVISORS  (B.A. in Art - Studio Art, Art Education, or Dual Concentration / Studio Art Minor)


Graduation Applications - Directions and Information

  1. Apply to Graduate through your online Student Center
  2. Fill out your Graduation Application and see your advisor for approval/signature. 
  3. Drop the completed, signed form off in the Art Office for chair’s signature. The office will contact students when the application is ready to be picked up.  NOTE: All graduation applications will be submitted and signed electronically during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Please note: 

  • When filling out graduation application, list all of the courses on your major advising sheet.
  • If you have transfer courses, list the exact prefix and number of course where it was completed

*For full instructions on graduation, download School of Art Graduation Guide (PDF)

Check all University graduation information and deadlines, available on the registrar’s office website:

General Education Advising

Students should meet with an adviser about general education requirements in the College of Liberal and Creative Arts Advising Resource Center (ARC) in HUM 112 or the Undergraduate Advising Center (UAC) in ADMIN 211. 

Art faculty are not able to advise students on general education requirements.

CSET Waiver / Subject Matter in Art Advising

Students who wish to pursue teaching art in elementary or secondary schools as a career are advised to major in Art with a concentration in Studio Art.  The Studio Art concentration is aligned with the Subject Matter Waiver Program in Art, which provides a waiver for the CSET exam in Art and prepares students to enter the Single Subject Credential Program in Art. Students are also encouraged to minor in Education and/or take courses in Education as part of complementary studies, in particular E ED 450: Art and Learning. Students who are considering teaching art, should see an Education adviser before planning the major. Specific courses and competency assessment are required for admission to the credential program in this area. See the Graduate College of Education website for more information about the credential program and the CSET Waiver in Art. To complete a CSET Waiver in Art, please contact  contact Gwen Allen or Susan Belau, who are subject matter advisors in Art.